Published on December 31st, 2017 | by Manufacturing News0
Get the Most from Your Document Management System with These Tips
Keeping all of your documents in paper form takes time and is costly. It has been estimated that the average worker in the Unites States goes through about 10,000 pieces of paper each and every year. It has reported that about 85% of the documents workers need are still in paper form, according to the Paperless Project Coalition. All of this is wasteful for a number of reasons. By some estimates, as much as one month a year is wasted looking for paper documents that are hard to find. The good news is that businesses no longer have to print every document they need. More and more companies are working with document management systems. Experts in document management service Rapid City offer a number of tips to help companies improve their bottom line with better document management.
- Think about the software you use. When many companies make a switch in the applications they use for their electronic document management services, they do not take into consideration how their workers will use the new software. This can be a problem because not everyone in the workforce is as good at changing the software they use. There are ways to make any change in your software easier on the people who will use it. Here are a few things you can do:
- Get software that is user friendly. This may seen like a no-brainer but this is not always as self evident as it should be. If you are looking at different software packages for your business and have a knack for using these new systems, you may not be the best one in your business to make the final decision. You can look online for reviews and talk to the people who work with and for you about the new options. This will make it easier to get everyone to adopt to the new software.
- Spring for some training sessions. The experts who work for a document management service Rapid City recommend setting up training sessions for your workers. There are a few reasons you should do this. In the first place, you can make sure your workers actually spend some time getting to know the new applications. When workers are supposed to do this in their own, it is hard to say when they will set aside time to practice. Another bonus is that your workers can learn from each other. They will get to see who has the hang of the new system and will know to whom they can go with questions, if they have them. This can also help promote collaboration among your staff.
- You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. It can be easy to get excited about a new system and want to see how much more efficient your people are using it but you need to have some patience. Let people move from the old system to the new on at their own pace. This is not a race, you do not have to sprint towards any finish line.
- Use the software yourself. If your workers see you using the new applications, they will start to use it. You should lead by example and be there to answer any questions the people who work for you may have when it comes to this new system.
- Try to get feedback from your staff. One of the best part of newer document management systems is how customizable they can be. Whether you are working with a document management service Rapid City or not, after they have made the switch to the new system, you should see what they they think of it and if there are things that can be done to make it easier to use. When you started using the new system, you probably starting using a new tagging system to make the document retrieval process easier and more efficient. This is always something that you are going to test and tweak.
It is hard to overstate how important it is to be able to locate your documents when you need to. This is why people do to places like a document management service Rapid City. These can help you grow your business.